About Me


Monday, 27 June 2011

Rocker Cover is off

Little baby steps ....

Saturday, 25 June 2011

Rally Overhaul 2011 started in new Workshop

Finally a place to screw up the bike :-)

Sunday, 19 June 2011

Upgraded Sound System

Not as exessive as you think ;-)

Monday, 13 June 2011

Landy ready for Testing

All advisories are fixed, appointment for new test is the 29th. Leaves a lot time to do minor cosmetic things

Monday, 06 June 2011

Rally Engine is out

Took me far longer than putting it in but in the end it came out

Naked Bike

I really need a workshop. Giving the engine away to get it fixed is not really my first choice :-(

Saturday, 04 June 2011

Landy Suspension is done

Saturday, 04 June 2011

Bike needs surgery

after the trip down from the UK I hadn't had time to enjoy a bit of riding. Tried on Thursday and the engine doesn't have any compression. That together with the amount of oil it drank on the tour I assume the piston is toast.
So started to take the engine out and hand it over to my Landlord, KTM Dealer

Friday, 20 May 2011

Upgrade of Landy Suspension begins

Sunday, 15 May 2011

The trip back to Switzerland

The evening before I went I wrote down a few points along the way for orientation and fed them into the Roadbook holder.
8 Pages in total, not bad.

The next morning I set of at around 8:30am. First destination was the Bognor Regis Robin Hood Hotel. A good 310 Km if you avoid the Motorways. I stopped along the way at Silbury Hill the old neolithic mount in West Kenneth

All went pretty uneventful. Next morning I drove via the A259 to Dover and went on the Ferry to Dunkerque.
There I stayed the night at the Hotel F1 in Grande Synthe. All in All 250Km for that day.
On Thursday morning I set of at 9:00am direction to Verdun, a good 420Km again no Motorways.
Except the first 60Km.
Had a Breakfeast Break on the Motorway

and discovered that the engine needed Oil, a bit concerning after only 600+Km
In Verdun I slept at the Hotel F1 (cheap as chips) and the next morning set off at around 8:00am for the last 250Km to Gerardmer to meet with some other guys for the SHEF (German abriviation for Summer Glove Opening Ride, Sommer-Handschuh-Eroeffnungs-Fahrt, that is). First task this morning was filling up and check oil. The engine was dry inside. I had to re fill 1.5L and bleed the reservoir in the Frame. Not good at all. I set the GPS to shortest route and avoid everything except 'Unpaved Roads' and it really had one gravel section for me.

I arrived at the Camping Ground at 48° 8'29.83"N 6° 53'38.01"E pretty early
and met Luigi one of the Administrators of the Adventure Forum.
He came down from Bavaria in his Landy

with bikes on his trailer

together with his Family

For a long time it looked as if we would be the only participiants of the SHEF.
Quite concerning as Ralf was carrying my Tent, Sleepingbag and Thermarest .
But the Koch's took good care of me so I wasn't too concerned.
And finaly later that evening Ralf turned up

And so did a few others

The morning after (that is not me btw.)

I set off at around noon to make the last leg of the trip to Switzerland. The last 190Km
The first 30Km through the French Vogeses Mountains was beautiful.
When finally the predicted clouds moved in I set off via Motorway 35 South.
I did make it Home exactly 30minutes before the big Rain started .
This was the first trip I didn't get wet.... but unfortunately the Rally Engine is in need of major surgery to fix the Oil issue.
A big thank you to all the guys at the SHEF, Ralf for carrying my tent and stuff and the Koch's for entertaining me the whole afternoon.
Hopfully see you all soon.

Sunday, 08 May 2011

Ready for the trip back to Switzerland

I went back to Wales to look after my House and to sell off the VW T4.
The trip back I will do with the Rally and as much Tools I can carry for the Land Rover.
But first I had to fix the Exhaust of the Rally. It fell apart on the last trip to Niedersolbach in October 2010.
The inner pipe brole off allowing all the damper wool filling to escape.
Doesn't look pretty

First remove the End Cap by drilling out the rivets

and pull out the inner pipe

Has seen better days

After bringing it back into shape and welding it back in I filled the silencer with fresh wool and to meet the Swiss Noise Regulations cut off and welded the end of another DAM Exhaust I had lying around in the end cap

And off I go for a quick test ride before the Welsh Summer hits the Area with torrential Rain and Thunderstorms

I didn't make it back in time and got wet, a lot!
Next day packed as much of my tools and things I would need to fix the Defender next week.
This is the first and only time I think that paniers would be better than saddle bags

Now waitibng for Tuesday. They promise dry weather for Tuesday and Wednesday, so I will leave here and drive along the south cosat in direction Dover to catch the Ferry on Wednesday late afternoon.
Keep fingers crossed the weather holds ....


My Photo
Name: SWAMP-Racing
Location: Treherbert, Rhondda Cynon Taff, UKistan
Daellikon, Switzerland